Controversial influencer Andrew Tate, who was detained alongside his brother Tristan for human trafficking and rape in Romania in December last year, was denied bail after three detention extensions on Tuesday, his spokesperson confirmed to CBS News. His brother was also denied bail on Wednesday and both will remain in a Romanian prison at least until the end of the month.
“Unfortunately, the Romanian justice system has rejected Andrew Tate’s bail request,” said Mateea Petrescu, communications manager for the Tate brothers.
“We are disappointed with this outcome as we had high hopes that Andrew would be reunited with his family. His legal team will appeal this decision within 48 hours,” added Petrescu.
“[The Court] rejects the request for replacement of the measure of preventive arrest by the measure of judicial control on bail formulated by the defendant TEA as inadmissible in principle. With the right to appeal within 48 hours of the communication,” the court said in a statement provided by Petrescu.
Eugen Vidineac, Tate’s lawyer, said: “On the face of it, the court’s decision is illegal because the principle of inadmissibility concerns a question of the impossibility of the judicial act, a principle which cannot be applied in the species.”
Tristan was also denied bail on Wednesday, with a spokesperson telling CBS News: “The court has decided to deny Tristan Tate’s bail application. Both brothers are disappointed with this result, especially Tristan, who can’t wait to meet his newborn daughter.
“However, he will continue to stick with his brother as they support each other through this frustrating time,” the spokesperson added. The lawyer has up to 48 hours to appeal the decision – which he plans to do, the spokesperson said.
While bail has been denied three times, the brothers have yet to be formally charged.
Tate is best known for spreading hate speech, misogyny and violence on social media. He got banned from Facebook and Instagram in August 2022 for violating Meta’s policies on dangerous organizations and individuals, and was also banned from posting videos on YouTube.
He was suspended from Twitter in 2017 for saying women ‘bear responsibility’ for being sexually assaulted, but was reinstated on the platform after Elon Musk took over the business last year.